Saturday, March 5, 2011

like mother like daughter

Waking up, terrified because I did not know where I was, has granted me a heart wrenching
unity with my mother. A renewed clarity of my mother's experience as a person living with dementia struck me when I awoke in the darkness prior to sunset frozen in fear
because I had absolutely no idea where I was and I was in my own bed in my own apartment.
My body's system was void of alcohol and drugs while my memory was void. Even though I was lucky to regain my senses within a fifteen second period, it will haunt me for the rest of my life.

Also are the two occurrences of memory frozen wake-ups foreshadowing of what is to come
or life experience to create a sense of empathy that I wish I had when my mum was still
alive?

No comments:

Post a Comment